"Praying On the Armor of God"
"[B]ut deliver us from the evil one."
Matthew 6:13b (NIV)
My eyes could barely take in what I saw. My daughter’s body was swollen and covered in welts from head to toe. Within minutes we were rushing to the emergency room.
Despite hours of treatment, her condition worsened, and our doctor determined she required hospitalization.
My husband was out of town. It was just me, alone, in the wee hours of the morning, desperately watching powerful drugs drip into her veins without relief. I lay in that hospital bed, curled up next to my 20-year-old baby girl, heart pounding, fearing what the next few hours would hold.
Ironically, earlier that day, I had been at a conference teaching on spiritual warfare. But in that moment, the truths I taught … the prayers I shared … escaped me. Fear and terror held my heart hostage. I couldn’t even pray.
But then they came. One after another, Scriptures, prayers and words of love and affirmation poured through my phone from women who had been at the conference.
One truth after another reminding me of our key verse today from Matthew 6:13b: "deliver us from the evil one."
In this passage, Jesus taught His disciples and us to pray with confidence, knowing God would deliver us from the schemes of the evil one.
This verse reminded me I am the beloved child of a Sovereign God … a God who is bigger than anything I face … a God who supplies me a suit of "armor" for battles like the one I was in at that moment.
I spoke each truth over myself and my daughter. I prayed each Scripture and put on the armor of God.
God’s truth exposed the lies.
God’s armor overcame the fear.
God’s armor is a game-changer. Our status as a child of God gives us rights and privileges others don’t have. We are soldiers fully equipped!
We need not fear anything — not even Satan himself. God delivers us!
In Ephesians 6:14-17, God lays out His armor.
- Belt of Truth — to protect us against Satan, the deceiver and liar
- Breastplate of Righteousness — to represent our positional righteousness before God
- Shoes of the Gospel of Peace — to ensure we are at peace with everyone and ready to go wherever God calls
- Shield of Faith — to quench all of Satan’s fiery darts
- Helmet of Salvation — to ensure we know we are a saved child of God, covered by Jesus’ blood, possessing the mind of Christ
- Sword of the Spirit — the Word of God and our only offensive weapon
Satan has one primary weapon: lies. So doesn’t it make sense we only need one offensive weapon to wield against Him? That weapon is TRUTH.
God’s Spirit indwells each one of us, and through that Holy Spirit power, God makes some amazing promises! For example:
- God is able to do "immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work in us" Ephesians 3:20 (NIV).
- That power is "far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come" Ephesians 1:21 (NIV).
- "… the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world" 1 John 4:4b (NIV).
And that is what I did that day in the hospital room. I fought back with God’s armor. I wielded my sword in the power of His Spirit and prayed His Word up and down that room and over every doctor and nurse who came through that hospital room door. As I did, fear turned its tail and ran, and God’s peace took its place.
Within 24 hours, my daughters’ hives began to subside, her swelling lessened and her beautiful smile returned and lit up her face.
Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us Your armor to fight our battles. Today, I pray on that armor and, in the power of Your Spirit, stand strong in it no matter what the evil one brings. I ask this in Jesus’ Name, Amen.
TRUTH FOR TODAY:
Ephesians 6:10-11, "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes." (NIV)